Okay Great. You’ve decided to make the leap and take your business or work online. On this page I aim to provide you with access to relevant articles in various categories aimed at Writers, Freelancers, Businesses, Bloggers and others. Essentially giving you a point in the right direction if you want to utilise the internet as a platform for developing, delivering and maintaining your core business, products and/or services.
For a start, here’s my latest post:
Are you applying to dozens of jobs and not getting noticed. I think I know why. I've put together a few simple tips to help you avoid falling into this situation. I can tell you that I use these techniques every time I put in a tender for a project and can tell you that it gets me noticed more often than not. So give it a try, it's free and you have nothing to lose.
Free Quick Start Guide
I have also prepared a quick start guide with loads of resources to help you get started working or taking your business online. The quickest way to get it is to subscribe using this link and I will email it to you immediately.
Like me, I’m sure you have loads of questions. Over time this blog will grow to try and answer some of those questions as well as share the experiences and knowledge I’ve acquired over the years and continue to learn on my journey. I will be creating more detailed individual posts that will hopefully make life a little easier for you.
Some of the questions I had, and questions that others have asked me are things like:
- Where do I start?
- What do I do first?
- Can I make a realistic income working from home?
- Can I afford it?
- How do I build a client base?
- How do I outsource? Where do I find people to outsource work?
If you are asking yourself these questions, then great, you are in the right place. Whilst I can’t answer all of those questions for every business category, what I can do is help point you in the right direction to help get you started.
While I get these posts ready (which may take a little while), you can check out a short guide I created that simply and briefly takes you through the steps you need to follow, and the questions that only you can answer to help you get started. This eBook also contains tons of online working resources including websites that facilitate outsourcing and business expansion, sites that pay to have stuff done and affiliate programs that you can join. I also outline of some of the tools that I find indispensable. As I mentioned above, you can easily get it by subscribing here.
If you are just starting out, one of the first things you need to do is to figure out what it is you want to do online. Do you want to work part time? Is it a full time career that you are after? or do you want to start an online business? Here you can see what I did first when starting my business.
Why not do some research using the many free tools out there? I’ve put together a list of all the tools I use so take a look, they may help you out. Most of them are free. Pay close attention to the Keyword Research section of that page.
The second thing that you need to start developing an online presence. It is the best way to get known and build confidence in this day and age. I have put together a post describing why it is so important and how to go about doing it in the most cost effective way.
Here are some articles from this website that are useful for everyone:
- Podcasts you should be listening to if you have any sort of entrepreneurial spirit in you.
- Why you need to create a blog, even if it is not your core business.
- How to make money even before you have clients.
Writers Start Here
You may find the following articles of interest:
- Get paid as a writer. The things you need to know.
- A cover letter to get you some attention.
- What its like to be a real freelance writer.
- 5 Tips that will make you more marketable as a freelance writers
- 30 Grammatical mistakes that are scaring away your customers
Freelancers Start Here
- Identify the service(s) you want to offer.
- Create an Online Presence
- Continuously build your resume
- Identify the tools in your specific area. Here are some that I use.
- Find the websites that facilitate work so that you can get paid for your valuable skills.
- Work on that cover letter.
Businesses Start Here
- Write a one page document describing your business goals and focus. See what I did first.
- Define your product or services.
- Understand your market through research.
- Know your competition.
- Create a website and build trust.
- Market your products and services.
- Outsource and delegate.
- Optimise and streamline with a wealth of tools and utilities that are currently available.
- Don’t mistake qualifications for experience when hiring.
Bloggers Start Here
- How to research a niche and easily analyse online trends
- Plan your content.
- Build your website
- Is WordPress right for you?
- Create value for your audience.
- Monetise your site.
- Know your audience.
- Don’t give up.
Anyone with a Website
- How to create a WordPress site fast
- Finding an available domain name
- Adwords as a Market research tool
- Keep an eye on your site performance as it affects ranking
- 4 Google Analytics settings that you MUST enable. Saves you money and enlightens you about your audience.
Thanks again for popping by and good luck with your Work Online endeavours.